Friday, April 8, 2011

Baby Kian

The latest addition to our family and Alia's baby brother, Kian Anderson Hsu, was born on April 5, 2011 at 4:15pm weighing 8lbs 6oz and measuring 19.75" in height. Baby Kian was born with a full set of wavy hair (just like dad) and is a strapping healthy newborn. Hard to tell who he looks like yet, but I think more like Dad than Mom, no?

This labor was definitely easier than Alia's, lasting only 7 hours including 45 min of pushing. Alia's was 18 hours with 3 hours of pushing. They say the second is easier, and I'm so glad that was true in my case. Both Kian and I were doing so well, I was able to be discharged after just one night in the hospital.

I'm not sure if you are more mentally or physically prepared the second time around but being home with a newborn and the labor recovery so far hasn't been bad at all. I'm up and about and not in as much pain. As with the sleep deprivation and exhaustion, that part hasn't been bad either (so far) mainly because I know what I'm doing this time around and also because Kian seems pretty mellow. Alia was always a good baby and good sleeper, but Kian seems even easier.

For example, I remember the first night with Alia at home being awful since she had her nights and days mixed up and was up from 11pm to 5am the first night, but with Kian, he has been able to be up at night to feed and right back to bed within 3 hr stretches so that isn't bad at all. We'll see how that goes.

It was heartwarming to see Alia meet her baby brother for the first time. I had been preparing her for baby "Peanut" coming home (our nickname for Kian). I had her come to the hospital to visit me so she could make the association with us bringing Kian home. She was excited and happy to see him, but I'm not sure she totally gets it. Today she exhibited some signs of jealousy when I was taking pictures of the baby even though I was very active in letting her participate. Tim and I are doing everything to spend as much time with her as possible and to not disrupt her schedule. We'll see what happens. I know it will be a continuous process but I look forward to one day seeing both Alia and Kian play and love each as siblings.

First Day at Hospital


Second Day at Home


Big sister Alia



No comments:

Post a Comment